Johns Journey

This is my journal to describe my personal journey in becoming an amputee and what I have learned along the way.

Name:

I am 15 years old. I was born with a birth defect in my leg. I have had 18 surgeries and am about to have my leg amputated. I have a close relationship with God, and I can testify to how God has been with me all of these years. He has been by my side and given me grace in all of my difficulties. I know that He will continue to do so, as I enter this new phase of my life.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Back from the doctor!

I was at the clinic today, and I now have my cast off! It feels so good to finally be out of my cast! I only saw Dr. D briefly, and then I saw one of the prosthetists. He gave me some stockings to shrink my stump, that I have to wear all of the time. I have to go back in two weeks and if the swelling is all gone, then they can mold me for the socket that attaches to the prosthesis. The socket goes on the end of my stump.

I have to start doing exercises to stretch the muscles in my leg. I couldn't really do them before, because my knee was bent in the cast. Once I get the prosthesis, I can start to walk!

I haven't been in a whole lot of pain lately, and the spasms pretty much went away, but this afternoon, they (the spasms) are starting up again. I don't know why. But they will go away eventually.

I'll write more later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa, Midenian Scholar said...

Late comment, again. My computer's been having problems. :P

And you're doing school through all this? *is in awe* I'm having a hard time keeping up after my move, but after an amputation I would probably throw my books out the window. Though it would be a good thing to study while you're recovering... Maybe I'd only throw my Algebra books out the window. ;)

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home