Johns Journey

This is my journal to describe my personal journey in becoming an amputee and what I have learned along the way.

Name:

I am 15 years old. I was born with a birth defect in my leg. I have had 18 surgeries and am about to have my leg amputated. I have a close relationship with God, and I can testify to how God has been with me all of these years. He has been by my side and given me grace in all of my difficulties. I know that He will continue to do so, as I enter this new phase of my life.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

My thoughts....

I just wanted to share what has been on my heart through all of this. I'd like to share a scripture that has always been one of my favorite:

"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a future and a hope."

Jeremiah 29:11

I have always felt that God has had a specific plan for John's life. When he was a baby, and he was diagnosed with his medical problems; God gave us a promise.

Read in John 9 vs. 1-3

As Jesus was walking along, He saw a man who had been blind from birth. "Teacher," his disciples asked Him, "why was this man born blind? Was it a result of his own sins or those of his parents?"

"It was not because of his sins or his parents' sins," Jesus answered. "He was born blind so the power of God could be seen in him."

It was then that I knew that God had a very special plan for John's life. I knew that God would be so very faithful to him...whatever came his way. I have seen this come to pass. I have seen God's grace upon him in a way that cannot be denied. I have been so thankful for this. If John had not been so accepting of everything he's gone through, and handled it all so well, I am sure I would have been a basket case! I know that is evidence of God's grace and faithfulness.

As I have said in all of my emails, the decision to amputate was years in the making, and it actually was an easy one to make. John has said he is somewhat surprised by some peoples' strong reaction to the news of the amputation. He's wondered what the big deal is. That in itself tells me how well he has accepted this.

We have had such peace concerning this. After the surgery, Dr. D told us that had we decided upon the fixator, he would have had to remove 2-3" of bone and that the whole process would have taken 1-2 years. When John learned this, he said "I am SO glad I got the amputation! No way would I have wanted to be in a fixator for 1-2 years!" For me, even though I already felt this was the right choice for us, learning this just confirmed all the more, that it indeed WAS the right choice.

I suppose part of this is just parental bragging, but I really have been so proud of John. He has had such a positive attitude all throughout the years. I am amazed by his acceptance of everything he has gone through. He has shown such courage and maturity in the face of some very difficult things. He is an inspiration to me, and I am so proud and thankful to be his mom!

Kathy

2 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

Amen.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Alyssa, Midenian Scholar said...

I love that story about the blind man.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home