Johns Journey

This is my journal to describe my personal journey in becoming an amputee and what I have learned along the way.

Name:

I am 15 years old. I was born with a birth defect in my leg. I have had 18 surgeries and am about to have my leg amputated. I have a close relationship with God, and I can testify to how God has been with me all of these years. He has been by my side and given me grace in all of my difficulties. I know that He will continue to do so, as I enter this new phase of my life.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My 2nd doctor's appointment since my surgery

I saw the doctor again today. The staples were removed from the stump. The nurse had some trouble getting them out so she asked Dr. D to come in and remove them. He got them right out. It kind of hurt. I still think the stump looks cool.

Before I had the amputation, I always thought it would have to be right below the knee. But it was done about 6" below the knee. I have been in a cast for 3 weeks now and my knee has been bent the whole time. So the two times I have had the cast changed, it has been hard to straighten my leg. Once I get out of the cast for good, I will probably have to do some exercises to strengthen it.

I am supposed to go back in two weeks to get this cast off, have an xray, see Dr. D, and maybe start the wrappings that the prosthetist will do. I guess because there is still some swelling in the stump, they can't start that yet. I can't wait until I can get the cast off!

As far as the pain goes, I am usually always in pain. My leg jerks on it own a lot too. The medicine does help, but it doesn't take all of it away. I just try to not let it bother me.

I am still glad I had it done, even though I am in pain. Years ago, when my mom and I would talk about maybe needing an amputation, I thought that I would not want it done, I thought I would miss my leg. But now I feel differently about it. My own leg kept me from being able to do a lot of things I wanted to do. Or at least from being able to do them for longer than an hour or so. I am looking forward to getting a new leg and being able to do a whole lot more.

Well, I am tired and my leg is hurting so I will go now and write more later.

John

1 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa, Midenian Scholar said...

I'm sorry that it still hurts. I can't say I know what it's like to be in almost constant pain, but I know enough to tell it's not fun (obviously). I hope it starts leaving soon.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home