Johns Journey

This is my journal to describe my personal journey in becoming an amputee and what I have learned along the way.

Name:

I am 15 years old. I was born with a birth defect in my leg. I have had 18 surgeries and am about to have my leg amputated. I have a close relationship with God, and I can testify to how God has been with me all of these years. He has been by my side and given me grace in all of my difficulties. I know that He will continue to do so, as I enter this new phase of my life.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My first appointment since my surgery

I saw Dr. D today. This was my first appointment since my surgery. There isn't too much to report. I have had a cast on my leg, and that was removed today. It was stuck to my leg!! It hurt when the cast guy took it off. He had to tug pretty hard. Then he called Dr. D into the room. Dr. D asked me if it bothered me to look at my stump, and I said "No, not at all." Then he said I was a rock, and that I'm not human. =) Then he said if Luke (the cast guy) rubbed his hands together and said "Bwaaa-ha-ha-haaaaaa" that I should tell him. But Luke didn't do that. ;) ... A guy named Isaac helped him put a new cast on my leg. He usually is the one to help. He's phsycotic! Actually, he's just really weird. In a funny sort of way.

Dr. D told us that I will go back in two weeks and then I'll get the staples removed. Then I will see the people in prosthetics, and they will give me a sort of sock that will shrink my stump. I don't know if they will put a cast back on, or just leave it alone.

I have been getting shooting pains in my stump. They really hurt. I don't know if these are phantom pains or not, but they feel very real to me! Dr. D told me once I get into my prosthesesis, I shouldn't get them anymore.

I can still feel my toes, even though they aren't there. Right now it feels like the pinky toenail is being pried off! Ouch!

I have been getting a lot of visitors, and have gotten some cards. That is very nice! My mom's family pitched in together to get me and my brothers and sister an X-Box! It was such a surprise! We have been playing on it a lot.

That's all for now~

John

1 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa, Midenian Scholar said...

Wow. I'm impressed that it doesn't bother you. It would bother me (to have it done to myself), but, then again, I haven't been disabled. Though it doesn't bother me to look at, too much. I saw the amputees from Iraq at the Pentagon recently and was fine. It was actually pretty cool.

Now I'm rambling.

And [echoing Sandy] I hope your shooting pains go. It's interesting that you can still "feel" your toe, though weird. I hope it gets better.

See ya,
Alyssa from the SL forums

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home